Bionax® PVCO Pipe (CIOD)
When IPEX first introduced Bionax® PVCO pressure pipe in North America in 2008, it set a new standard for municipal water distribution and made everything else seem antiquated. Since then, thousands of metres of Bionax® have been laid in hundreds of installations and it is specified as a material of choice in jurisdictions from coast to coast.
Now, with the introduction of larger diameters, municipal water transmission projects can benefit from the same properties that put Bionax® water distribution lines and sewage force mains in a class by themselves.
- Larger internal diameters increase flow rates and reduce pumping costs
- Higher cyclic fatigue resistance for force main applications
- Reduced surge pressure
Learn more about our Bionax® PVCO Pipe
This specification provides the requirements for Molecularly Oriented Polyvinyl Chloride (PVCO) pipe for potable-water systems and other pressure-pipe applications.
- PVCO pipe shall be manufactured from rigid Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) compound meeting the requirements of ASTM D1784 cell class 12454.
- Gaskets shall meet ASTM F477 for high-head applications
HYDROSTATIC DESIGN BASIS
- Starting-stock PVC pipe shall have a Hydrostatic Design Basis (HDB) of 4,000 psi.
- Finished PVCO pipe shall have an HDB of 7,100 psi.
- Pipe shall be molecularly oriented.
- Pipe shall be produced with cast-iron-pipe outside diameters (CIOD) in all sizes.
- Pipe shall be joined by integral-bell gasketed joints conforming to ASTM D3139.
- Pipe spigot ends shall be chamfered by the manufacturer.
- Pipe ends shall be capped at the production facility prior to storage and shipping.
- Pipe shall be colour-coded blue.
- PVCO pipe shall be third-party certified to CSA B137.3.1 and AWWA C909
PVCO pipe shall conform to the following standards:
- ANSI/NSF Standard 14: Plastic Piping System Components and Related Materials
- ANSI/NSF Standard 61: Drinking Water System Components – Health Effects
- ASTM D1784: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Compounds
- ASTM D3139: Joints for Plastic Pressure Pipes Using Flexible Elastomeric Seals
- ASTM F1483: Molecularly Oriented Polyvinyl Chloride (PVCO) Pressure Pipe
- ASTM F477: Elastomeric Seals (Gaskets) for Joining Plastic Pipe
- AWWA C909: Molecularly Oriented Polyvinyl Chloride (PVCO) Pressure Pipe, 4 inch and Larger
- CSA B137.3.1: Molecularly Oriented Polyvinyl Chloride (PVCO) Pipe for Pressure Applications (also certified to BNQ 3624-500 certification protocol)
4 – 30″ (100mm – 750mm)
73oF / 23oC for 165 psi
73oF / 23oC for 235 psi
CSA B137.3.1 certified CIOD
NSF Std. 14 certified
NSF Std. 61 certified
BNQ NQ 3660-950*
Municipal Transmission Mains
Municipal Distribution Mains